Sep 2016
10 Comments

Dr. Shane Shapiro

Jury still out on BMAC treatment for knees

Posted by

Back in February, we  reported on how thousands of people are visiting hundreds of clinics in American cities and some Canadian centres to  get an expensive, unproven, same-day stem cell treatment to ease pain and restore flexibility in their arthritic or banged-up knees.

The BMAC (bone marrow aspirate concentrate) procedure involves extracting mesenchymal stem cells from a patient’s pelvis, spinning them in a centrifuge and then re-injecting them into the damaged knees. The treatment can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $10,000 per injection, even though there are no published reports from high-level clinical trials to indicate it works.

We are, however, getting  closer to knowing the truth.

Dr. Shane Shapiro, an orthopedic surgeon at the Mayo Center for Regenerative Medicine in Jacksonville, Florida, has published the results of a 25-person clinical trial in which patients with osteoarthritis received  an injection of stem cells in one knee and a saline solution placebo in the other — unaware of which was which.

The results are less than conclusive. As reported in the American Journal of Sports Medicine:

“Study patients experienced a similar relief of pain in both BMAC- and saline-treated arthritic knees. Further study is required to determine the mechanisms of action, duration of efficacy, optimal frequency of treatments, and regenerative potential.”

According to Dr. Shapiro, this leads to two possible interpretations. One is that the BMAC procedure was no better than placebo (because both knees got equally better). The second is that stem cells have a systemic effect (which some animal and human studies suggest) and can go to where needed — so that stem cells injected into the left knee could also make the right knee feel better.

Dr. Shapiro stresses that his study doesn’t prove the latter.  It’s still just  a theory.

Clearly, what’s needed is a double-blind, randomized controlled clinical trial in which each participant is assigned to receive either the BMAC treatment or a placebo by chance with neither the patient nor the doctor knowing who gets which so that the results can be objectively compared. Until then, we won’t know whether the BMAC procedure actually relieves pain and repair knees.

It should also be noted that the Mayo clinic used the most promising stem cells for their injections. Instead of just drawing and concentrating bone marrow and then reinjecting it into the patient,  Dr. Shapiro’s team tracked the number of stem cells and tested their viability before injecting them into a patient’s knees. A patiently likely would not get that level of quality assurance from a busy clinic trying to treat as many patients as quickly as possible.

10 thoughts on “Jury still out on BMAC treatment for knees”

1. Mike Dunn says:

I am in my late sixties,and am facing a hip replacement for osteoarthritis. I am not disabled to the point where surgery is the only option,and I am hesitant to go with surgery before exhausting all other treatment modalities. Stem cell treatment therefore looks quite attractive to me if it works.

2. Curt says:

I am 42 and could be put on “the list” for a hip replacement here in Western Canada. I am coming down to a crunch time decision on whether to have this (stem cell injection) done or not. I would very much like to know outcomes for these procedures.

3. James Harvey says:

I’m more interested in whether there was any regeneration rather than pain relief. Did the study provided any answers about regenerative efficacy?

1. Joe Sornberger says:

Thanks for you comment. The purpose of the study was to assess pain relief, so the conclusions are limited to that. You can find out more here: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0363546516662455

2. Deborah Phillips says:

I, also would like to know about positive results for the regeneration of cartilage in the knees. I have no risk factors other than bad genes, and feel that I am too young to have knees so bad that I cannot squat down and stand back up without kneeling and pushing myself up with my hands, yet that is the state of my condition. As a 62-yr-old marathon runner, I have experienced a dramatic drop in performance due to the fact my knees don’t bend right anymore…not to mention pain.

4. 655717 310563Very efficiently written story. It will be useful to anybody who employess it, including me. Keep up the good work – canr wait to read more posts. 438931

5. allen lueck says:

My wife and I hope stem cell injections will help our arthritis. I have cold, numb feet and knees that are hurting when I walk. We are 83 years old.
    We attended a meeting with STEM CELL CENTRE from Spokane, Wash. where they touted the 92% success in growing knee cartilage and relieving pain, plus many other wonderful stories of success.
    Has anyone tried their clinic?
    I would lie to have an objective opinion from someone.

6. Naty says:

I have a terrible rheumatoid arthritis in my knee, shoulder, wrist and fingers. Would stem cell therapy help ?

I appreciate any feedback.

1. Sue DeLisle says:

We recently wrote a fairly comprehensive piece about clinics offering stem cell injections for osteoarthritis and knee/hip injuries. You can find it at http://stemcellfoundation.ca/en/2017/05/02/more-doctors-treating-aching-joints-with-stem-cells-even-though-treatment-is-costly-unproven-and-relief-is-only-temporary/

7. james ginn says:

Another important factor in this process is not simply the proliferation of new cells but the issue of whether the cells are aligned in such a way as to insure the new growth mimics the original uninjured tissue strength-wise. This is certainly important in regrowth of tendon and ligament tissue. And I would think that in any clinical studies that this would be one of the prime factors of note.
    Now as far as cartilage damage I can say from experience…as a marathon runner… that it does heal itself with time apart from any arthroscopic surgery that may be needed to remove loose cartilage.
    Now as to having joint problems I would state that most of the issue is determined by both diet and genetics.