If you are one of the thousands who signed the Stem Cell Charter, you showed your leadership and commitment to seeing this important field continue to progress. Your leadership is being joined by others.
Today, we’re thrilled to share with you that Dr. Alan Bernstein has been appointed Chair of our Board of Directors (something you will read about soon in the national newspapers).
Dr. Bernstein was the founding President of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and led the transformation in how health research is organized and funded in Canada. More recently, he was the inaugural Executive Director of the Global HIV Vaccine Enterprise in New York, responsible for the 2010 Scientific Strategic Plan for HIV vaccine development, and facilitating and integrating the activities of the Enterprise’s partners.
Dr. Bernstein is recognized internationally as both a respected scientist with over 200 peer-reviewed scientific publications, and as an accomplished leader. His contributions to science have been recognized by many awards including the McLaughlin Medal of the Royal Society of Canada, the Robert L. Noble Prize from the National Cancer Institute of Canada, the Genetics Society of Canada Award of Excellence, and many others including the Order of Canada in 2002.
Upon accepting the role of Chair of the Board of Directors, Dr. Bernstein noted that there are few areas of health research that are as exciting and that hold as much potential for human health and disease as stem cells. In working with the Board and the leadership team, Dr. Bernstein believes that the Foundation has a great story to tell that will excite leading Canadians, policy makers, and the public about the importance of stem cell research.
Board of Directors
Dr. Bernstein is joined on the Board by Canadians who have demonstrated their commitment to research and ensuring Canada’s stem cell future.
- Honourable A. Anne McLellan — Senior Partner, Bennett Jones, Corporate Director Nexen, Cameco, and Agrium. Former Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, and Minister of Health.
- Dr. Martha C. Piper — Corporate Director for the Bank of Montreal, TransAlta, and Shoppers Drug Mart. Former President and Vice-Chancellor of The University of British Columbia.
- Dr. Samuel Weiss — Chair of the Foundation’s Science Leadership Council, Director of the Hotchkiss Brain Institute, and 2008 recipient of the Gairdner International Award.
- Dr. Allen Eaves — Founder, President & CEO of STEMCELL Technologies, Founder of the Terry Fox Laboratory for Hematology/Oncology Research.
- Mr. David W. Hughes — President & CEO of Pathways to Education Canada and former President & CEO of Habitat for Humanity Canada.
- Mr. Andrew Lyall — Executive Director of the Stem Cell Network and Chair of the Steering Committee of the International Consortium of Stem Cell Networks.
President’s Advisory Council
Complementing the Board is the President’s Advisory Council. These leaders are nationally recognized for bringing major initiatives to life in both the private and public sectors. The President’s Advisory Council includes:
- Mr. Peter Bentley — Former Chair and CEO of Canfor, Former Chancellor of the University of Northern British Columbia
- Mr. Charlie Fischer — Former Chair and CEO of Nexen, Former Vice-Chair of the Board of Governors for the University of Calgary
- Mr. Eric Newell — Former Chair and CEO of Syncrude, Former Chancellor of the University of Alberta
- Mr. Allan Taylor — Former Chair and CEO of the Royal Bank of Canada
- Mr. Milton Wong — Former Chair of HSBC Asset Management, Former Chancellor of Simon Fraser University
Science Leadership Council
In addition to the Board and the President’s Advisory Council, the Foundation has also established the Science Leadership Council that is comprised of leading stem cell scientists including:
- Dr. Samuel Weiss — Director of the Hotchkiss Brain Institute, University of Calgary (Chair)
- Dr. Tim Caufield — Director of the Health Law Institute, University of Alberta
- Dr. Connie Eaves — VP Research at the BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver
- Dr. Gordon Keller — Director of the McEwen Centre for Regenerative Medicine, Toronto
- Dr. Janet Rossant — Chief of Research at the Hospital for Sick Kids, Toronto
- Dr. Michael Rudnicki — Director of the Sprott Centre for Stem Cell Research, Ottawa
- Dr. Guy Sauvageau — Director of the Institute for Research in Immunology and Cancer, University of Montreal
We hope that you will celebrate as their commitment to the Foundation joins yours. And we hope that you will continue to support them as you have supported us.